Following their triumphant 40th anniversary reunion tour in 2008, the original members of Pentangle: Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Jacqui McShee, Danny Thompson and Terry Cox – each one a legend in their own right – will reunite again to perform three special shows this summer. The band will appear at Glastonbury Festival on Saturday 25 June, as special guests at Cambridge Folk Festival on Saturday 30 July, and again at London’s Royal Festival Hall on Monday 1 August.
In addition, all five original members of Pentangle are currently working together on new material for the first time since they disbanded in 1973. The group also plan to release live recordings from the 2008 tour in the near future.
2008’s reunion tour was greeted with enormous and critical and popular acclaim:
5 stars – “It’s an absolute joy to have them back”– The Times
“Every bit as accomplished and successful as those [comeback concerts] performed by Cream in London three years ago … Pentangle’s music sounded as fresh, vital and inventive in 2008 as it did back then in the first summer of love”– Variety
In 2011 the original line-up of Pentangle play the following dates:
- Sat 25 June: Glastonbury Festival
- Sat 30 July: Cambridge Folk Festival
- Mon 1 August: London, The Royal Festival Hall
Tickets for The Royal Festival Hall are available in person from the ticket office, Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Road, London SE1 8XX; by phone on 0844 875 0073; or online at www.southbankcentre.co.uk
Formed in swinging ‘60s London, Pentangle were one of the most exciting and innovative groups in the world, genuinely pushing boundaries and exploring new musical avenues. Simultaneously stars of the underground and darlings of the mainstream, they enjoyed an unprecedented degree of worldwide success for an acoustic band and their influence and musical impact is still revered and relevant today.
- “Pentangle still rule the roost” – The Times (9 February 2007)
- “Forget Cream…or Led Zeppelin, this is the biggie: Pentangle is reforming” – The Guardian (19 January 2007)
- “The Folk Beatles…The greatest and most adventurous acoustic ‘supergroup’ of their time” – The Word (April 2007)
- “The godfathers of English folk music…unquestionably the core template for today’s blooming nu-folk scene” – Metro (23 March 2007)
- “Pentangle was electrifying, particularly at a time of unprecedented free thinking in music. Together they created an intoxicating instrumental force” – Jazzwise (April 2007)
- “Pentangle revolutionised 60s music” – MOJO (April 2007)
- “One of the most experimental and influential bands of the Sixties” – The Sun (23 February 2007)
- “Pentangle rewrote the Britfolk rulebook…America has nothing to match them” – The Daily Mirror (9 March 2007)
- “Britain’s Grateful Dead” – The Guardian (16 March 2007)